Steps to Do - For Foreign Students





The tax code or “codice fiscale” is an identification code issued by the Ministry of Finance which is needed in order to open a current account or sign contracts. Citizens residing abroad can request it to the Italian consular-diplomatic representation in their country of residence.

In Italy it can be requested from your local “Ufficio delle Entrate” (Tax office). A complete list of offices in the Lazio region can be found on this website.
Remember to bring your passport.

Moreover the documents requested to get the Italian Fiscal Code are:

  • The copy of the first page of your passport
  • The copy of the Visa
  • The Application form



N.B.: Every year the University of Rome Tor Vergata organizes at the beginning of the academic year (in September) the Welcome Weeks during which a representative of "Agenzia delle Entrate" Office is available for new international students to issue the tax code or "codice fiscale".


It is extremely important to have valid health insurance, as it is also required in order to apply for a residence permit within 8 days of your arrival in the country. Perhaps you already have health insurance, which was taken out in your home country and validated by the diplomatic representation prior to your departure.
If not, the two safest options are:

  • voluntary registration with the Italian national health service (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale or SSN), which gives you the opportunity to choose a doctor (general practitioner), who will deal with health problems free of charge, and prescribe medicines, tests and specialist examinations when necessary. Registration is valid until 31st December.
  • the INA-Assitalia policy, which only covers emergency health care in public hospitals, is valid for 6-12 months from the date of purchase.

To register with the SSN you have to

  1. Go to a post office and use a payment slip to make a payment of 149.77 euros (cost of the service for one solar year) to post office current account n.370007, registered to: Regione Lazio, specifying the following reason for payment “Iscrizione volontaria al SSN” (which means voluntary registration to SSN).
  2. Registering with the local health authority (ASL or Azienda Sanitaria Locale ) office nearest to your residence address (you will find all the addresses on this website) bringing with you:

If you are an EU citizen:

  • your payment receipt
  • your TEAM/EHIC card or the E106 Model card issued by your country of origin.
  • The TEAM/EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) should be requested from the local health authority of your home country prior to departure. In any event, old forms such as the E111 or E128 will still be considered valid.

If you are a non-EU citizen:

  • your payment receipt
  • Italian fiscal code
  • passport
  • your residence permit application receipt
  • self-certification of residence or home
  • self-certification of enrolment to our University

To take out a policy with INA-Assitalia you have to go to a post office and make a payment of € 98.00 (for one year) or € 49.00 (for six months) to post office current account n. 71270003, registered to: Agenzia Generale di Roma INA-Assitalia, specifying the following reason for payment “Polizza sanitaria studenti stranieri for 6 or 12 months”.


The Italian Immigration Act provides that citizens who are not members of the European Union who intend to stay in Italy for more than three months, require a residence permit within 8 working days of their arrival in Italy.

First application

If you are an EU citizen, you do not require a residence permit as such, but you have to register with your local civil records office in order to obtain the issue of .the “attestazione anagrafica”.
If you live in Rome you can find on the website , the module for the “Dichiarazione di Residenza”, that you have to fill in and present to your “Ufficio Anagrafico del Municipio” by person or through e-mail, certificate e-mail, fax or recommended letter with these documents in attachment:

  1. the passport or identity card
  2. self-certification of enrolment at our University

If you are a non-EU citizen, you can apply for the stay permit at any Italian Post Office filling the “Yellow Kit”, that you can find in the Post Office. (You can also ask for the kit at the Welcome Office, where someone will help you to fill it in).
It has to be submitted to a post office displaying the “Sportello Amico” logo, along with:

  1. photocopy of your passport (only the pages with your personal details and the visa stamp);
  2. documentation stating the chosen course and its duration and the stamp of the Italian diplomatic representation which issued the Visa;
  3. a copy of the receipt of payment of the health insurance (who does not have it, can buy it directly in the Post Office at a cost of 98 euro for one year or 49 euro for 6 month);
  4. a copy of the Italian Fiscal Code;
  5. the Formal admission letter from our University;
  6. the receipt of the payment due for the application for the Electronic Stay Permit. The cost of the Electronic stay permit is of € 30,46, and has to be paid with a bollettino in the Post Office.In addition, a 30 euros payment to the postal operator must be made at the time of submission of the application;
  7. one “marca da bollo” of 16 euros, available at any tobacconist’s

The post office will give you an official document (lettera di convocazione) with the date of your appointment with the specific branch of the Commissariato or Ufficio Immigrazione where you have to show up.
On the day of the appointment, do not forget to bring with you the original documents enclosed in the kit, the post office receipt and 2 passport size photographs.



In order to renew your residence permit you have to fill in the application kit, specifying that it is a renewal. Deliver the kit to any post office displaying the “Sportello amico” logo, along with the following documents:

  1. photocopy of your passport (only the pages with your personal details and the visa stamp);
  2. a copy of your residence permit;
  3. a copy of the documentation demonstrating the availability of adequate financial resources, for example, proof that you hold a scholarship or details of your current account;
  4. a certificate of enrolment with exams taken;
  5. copy of the receipt of payment of the health insurance.

Please note! It is advisable to begin the renewal procedure 60 days before the expiry date.


  • € 16 for 1 revenue stamp (available at any tobacconist’s), which has to be sticked on your residence permit application
  • € 30 to be paid at the post office at the application acceptance
  • € 70,46 to be paid at the post office for the issue of an electronic Residence Permit.

Foreign student who is not self-employed and has the family resident abroad and the Italian student with income abroad, which intend to pay University fees on the base of their family income must obtain the Scheda Raccolta Dati at any CAF Office by the 15th of December, 2017.

International students’ family income can only be certified by the Italian Diplomatic Authorities (local Consulate or local Embassy), which students should consult in order to know what documents are needed for such certification. Once the proper documentation is submitted to the Italian Diplomatic Authority, it will provide the student with the certified documents that need to be brought to any CAF Office (Italian Tax Service Centres) after arriving in Rome.

To certify the family income international students have to follow the procedure below:

1. Obtain your Family Income Declaration in your own Country: this should include:

  • Composition of your family
  • Family income 
  • Real estate assets of your family 

2. Bring your family income statement to the Italian Embassy in your home Country and let them approve and translate it into Italian. 

3. Once in Italy, go to Agenzia delle Entrate to obtain the Italian Fiscal Code

4. Finally, you should go to a CAF Office to obtain the "Scheda Raccolta Dati". Please find in here the list of documents to submit to the CAF.

All the students have to present the Scheda Raccolta Dati and all the documents submitted to the CAF to the Students' Administrative Office of the School of Economics (via Columbia, 2 - Building B, Ground Floor) within the 15th December 2017.

Choosing not to state your family income, you will have to pay the maximum range for fees: for the students coming from low-income economies or lower-middle-income economies the 80% of the maximum rate of their class of taxation (Ordinary, Higher or Maximum); for all the other international students the 100% of the maximum rate of their class of taxation (Ordinary, Higher or Maximum).

Also students who have applied for Laziodisu, have to submit the Scheda Raccolta Dati within the 15th of December 2017 because in case of exclusion or revocation of the Laziodisu scholarship the University taxes will be calculated on the basis of the family income. 



Students who have applied for Laziodisu Scholarship must finish their application by providing the following documents to the Laziodisu Office (Via Cambridge 115, 00133, Roma - Office Hours: Monday and Wednesday 9.00 - 12.00 ; 15.00 - 16.00 - Friday 9.00 - 11.45) :

  • the original of scholarship documents;
  • copy of the passport;
  • the payment receipt of the tuition fee (first installment – 16 euro);
  • copy of the fiscal code;
  • the copy of application for stay permit (permesso di soggiorno).

Students with a foreign diploma have to go to the "International Students Office" (Address: Via Cracovia (unnumbered) – Building D – ground floor – room n. 001 Email: and provide all the requested documents.

After checking the regularity of the documents, the "International Students Office" will abilitate you for the online enrolment procedure.

In the end, in order to finalize your registration, you have to go to the "Students' Administrative Office" of the School of Economics (Building B - Ground floor – with all the requested documents.

The Students' Administrative Office will provide students with a booklet, where exams will be registered.

For more information, you can check in the section on our web-site dedicate to the “Enrollment Procedure”.


International Students Office hours

Monday and Friday from 09:00 am to 12:00 pm
Wednesdays from 09:00 am to 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm

Address: Via Cracovia (unnumbered) – 00133
Building D – ground floor – room n. 001

Students' Administrative Office of the School of Economics
via Columbia, 2 - Building B, Ground Floor
Monday and Friday 9:00 am -12:00 pm. Wednesday 9:00 - 12:00 pm and 2:00 - 4:00 pm