Steps to Do - For Foreign Students


In order to live in Italy, both European and non-European students are required to obtain certain official documents in order to formalize their right of residence.
In view of facilitating the procedure, we have arranged the necessary information in a specific order, which we suggest you to follow step by step: in fact, you have to hold some documents before applying for others.


The tax code or Codice Fiscale is an identification code issued by the Ministry of Finance which is needed in order to open a current account or sign contracts. Citizens residing abroad can request it to the Italian consular-diplomatic representation in their country of residence.

You can ask for the Codice Fiscale to the Italian Embassy (or Consulate) at the moment of the Entry Visa request.  The Codice Fiscale is necessary for all kinds of interaction with the Italian public administration.

Otherwise, once in Italy, it can be requested from your local “Agenzia delle Entrate” (Tax office). A complete list of offices in the Lazio region can be found on this website.
Remember to bring your passport.

Moreover the documents requested to get the Italian Fiscal Code are:

  • The copy of the first page of your passport
  • The copy of the Visa
  • The Application form


N.B.: During the Welcome Weeks 2018  a representative of Agenzia delle Entrate will be available for new international students to issue the Codice Fiscale.


It is extremely important to have valid health insurance, as it is also required in order to apply for a residence permit within 8 days of your arrival in the country. Perhaps you already have health insurance, which was taken out in your home country and validated by the diplomatic representation prior to your departure.
If not, the two safest options are:

  • voluntary registration with the Italian national health service (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale or SSN), which gives you the opportunity to choose a doctor (general practitioner), who will deal with health problems free of charge, and prescribe medicines, tests and specialist examinations when necessary. Registration is valid until 31st December.
  • the INA-Assitalia policy, which only covers emergency health care in public hospitals, is valid for 6-12 months from the date of purchase.

To register with the SSN you have to

  1. Go to a post office and use a payment slip to make a payment of 149.77 euros (cost of the service for one solar year) to post office current account n.370007, registered to: Regione Lazio, specifying the following reason for payment “Iscrizione volontaria al SSN” (which means voluntary registration to SSN).
  2. Registering with the local health authority (ASL or Azienda Sanitaria Locale ) office nearest to your residence address (you will find all the addresses on this website) bringing with you:

If you are an EU citizen:

  • your payment receipt
  • your TEAM/EHIC card or the E106 Model card issued by your country of origin.
  • The TEAM/EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) should be requested from the local health authority of your home country prior to departure. In any event, old forms such as the E111 or E128 will still be considered valid.

If you are a non-EU citizen:

  • your payment receipt
  • Italian fiscal code
  • passport
  • your residence permit application receipt
  • self-certification of residence or home
  • self-certification of enrolment to our University

To take out a policy with INA-Assitalia you have to go to a post office and make a payment of € 98.00 (for one year) or € 49.00 (for six months) to post office current account n. 71270003, registered to: Agenzia Generale di Roma INA-Assitalia, specifying the following reason for payment “Polizza sanitaria studenti stranieri for 6 or 12 months”.


The Italian Immigration Act provides that citizens who are not members of the European Union who intend to stay in Italy for more than three months, require a residence permit within 8 working days of their arrival in Italy.

First application

If you are an EU citizen, you do not require a residence permit as such, but you have to register with your local civil records office in order to obtain the issue of .the “attestazione anagrafica”.
If you live in Rome you can find on the website , the module for the “Dichiarazione di Residenza”, that you have to fill in and present to your “Ufficio Anagrafico del Municipio” by person or through e-mail, certificate e-mail, fax or recommended letter with these documents in attachment:

  1. the passport or identity card
  2. self-certification of enrolment at our University

If you are a non-EU citizen, you can apply for the stay permit at any Italian Post Office filling the “Yellow Kit”, that you can find in the Post Office. (You can also ask for the kit at the Welcome Office, where someone will help you to fill it in).
It has to be submitted to a post office displaying the “Sportello Amico” logo, along with:

  1. photocopy of your passport (only the pages with your personal details and the visa stamp);
  2. documentation stating the chosen course and its duration and the stamp of the Italian diplomatic representation which issued the Visa;
  3. a copy of the receipt of payment of the health insurance (who does not have it, can buy it directly in the Post Office at a cost of 98 euro for one year or 49 euro for 6 month);
  4. a copy of the Italian Fiscal Code;
  5. the Formal admission letter from our University;
  6. the receipt of the payment due for the application for the Electronic Stay Permit. The cost of the Electronic stay permit is of € 30,46, and has to be paid with a bollettino in the Post Office.In addition, a 30 euros payment to the postal operator must be made at the time of submission of the application;
  7. one “marca da bollo” of 16 euros, available at any tobacconist’s

The post office will give you an official document (lettera di convocazione) with the date of your appointment with the specific branch of the Commissariato or Ufficio Immigrazione where you have to show up.
On the day of the appointment, do not forget to bring with you the original documents enclosed in the kit, the post office receipt and 2 passport size photographs.



In order to renew your residence permit you have to fill in the application kit, specifying that it is a renewal. Deliver the kit to any post office displaying the “Sportello amico” logo, along with the following documents:

  1. photocopy of your passport (only the pages with your personal details and the visa stamp);
  2. a copy of your residence permit;
  3. a copy of the documentation demonstrating the availability of adequate financial resources, for example, proof that you hold a scholarship or details of your current account;
  4. a certificate of enrolment with exams taken;
  5. copy of the receipt of payment of the health insurance.

Please note! It is advisable to begin the renewal procedure 60 days before the expiry date.


  • € 16 for 1 revenue stamp (available at any tobacconist’s), which has to be sticked on your residence permit application
  • € 30 to be paid at the post office at the application acceptance
  • € 70,46 to be paid at the post office for the issue of an electronic Residence Permit.


1. Connect to Delphi system and select "Registration" (section 2), then in the section "Start Application Procedure" select On-campus course, Faculty of Economics, choose the Option 2 "I have passed the Admission/sustained the assessment test/I am in possession of the curricular requirements and I want to register myself" and proceed with the registration inserting your data

2. Click on "Print" and the system will release the enrolment request with the list of documents to be uploaded (*)

3. Carefully preserve the CTRL code and the Fiscal code

4. Connect again to Delphi, select the option b "You have already filled out an application" and Insert Fiscal Code and CTRL

5. Upload a PDF file for each document required

6. The documents uploaded must be provided to the "International students office" (Via Cracovia, n. 50). After checking the regularity of your documents, the International Students Office will contact you via email for the submission of all the documents (Please note that you will have a personal appointment - respect the time and date to come to the Office). 

7. Once received the email from the International Students Office, connect again to Delphi, select the option b "You have already filled out an application" and Insert Fiscal Code and CTRL and print the enrolment request that contains in the last page the bank form for the payment of the first instalment. Tuition fees can be paid at any Unicredit Bank or online through the Unicredit website

8. The day of the appointment with the International Students Office, deliver the enrollment request and the receipt of the payment. The International students Office will validate your payment and will give you the enrolment number (matricola) and a password that will allow you to access the online students services (email, fee payments, exam registration, etc.) Preserve carefully!

Around 10 working days after the submission to the International Students Office, you can go to the Students Administrative Office of the School of Economics to collect your University Exam booklet (Libretto), where exams will be registered. 

Students Administrative Office of the School of Economics

via Columbia, 2 - Building B, Ground Floor

Front Office Hours

Monday and Friday 9:00 am - 12:00 pm

Wednesday 9:00 am - 12:00 pm and 2:00 - 4:00 pm

(*) Here is the list of documents to be uploaded:

  • Copy of the passport
  • Copy of the Italian Fiscal Code
  • Copy of the Resident Permit or receipt confirming the permit request (only for non-EU students resident abroad)
  • Copy of Admission Letter
  • 3 recent passport-sized photo
  • Bachelor degree or equivalent first level degree translated into Italian by an official translator, authenticated by the authorities of the country where it was obtained 
  • Declaration of Value of the qualification released by the Italian Diplomatic Authority or certificate of comparability issued by ENIC-NARIC 
  • Certificate listing the exams passed, translated and legalized (translation is not required for transcripts originally produced in English) or the “Diploma Supplement”



Tuition fees at the University of Rome Tor Vergata for the AY 2018/2019 are based on the student’s family income.

Foreign student who is not self-employed and has the family resident abroad and the Italian student with income abroad, which intend to pay Tuition fees on the base of their family income must obtain the Scheda Raccolta Dati at any CAF Office once in Italy. 

International students’ family income can only be certified by the Italian Diplomatic Authorities (local Consulate or local Embassy). Once the proper documentation is submitted to the Italian Diplomatic Authority, it will provide the student with the certified documents that need to be brought to any CAF Office (Italian Tax Service Centres) after arriving in Rome.

1. Obtain your Family Income Declaration in your own Country certified by the Italian Diplomatic Authorities (local Consulate or local Embassy).

2. Bring your family income statement to the Italian Embassy in your home Country and let them approve and translate it into Italian. 

3. Please note that you can ask for the Codice Fiscale to the Italian Embassy (or Consulate) at the moment of the Entry Visa request. The Codice Fiscale is necessary for all kinds of interaction with the Italian public administration. Once in Italy, if you have not yet obtained the Codice Fiscale, go to Agenzia delle Entrate. Please note that Agenzia delle Entrate (for obtaining the Fiscal Code) will be available during the Welcome Weeks 2018

4. Finally, you should go to a CAF Office to obtain the "Scheda Raccolta Dati". At the following link you can check what documents are needed for such certification: note that a CAF Office will be available during the Welcome Weeks 2018.

Not submitting the ISEEU to the University will imply for the student the payment based on the maximum rate of the yearly fee of the course (80% of the maximum rate for the students coming from low-income economies or lower-middle-income economies; 100% of the maximum rate for all the other international students).

We strongly suggest even students awarded with scholarships submit the ISEEU certification because in case of exclusion or revocation of the scholarship the University tuition fees will be calculated on the basis of the family income.


Students who have applied for Laziodisu Scholarship must finish their application by providing the following documents to the Laziodisu Office (Via Cambridge 115, 00133, Roma - Office Hours: Monday and Wednesday 9.00 - 12.00 ; 15.00 - 16.00 - Friday 9.00 - 11.45) :

  • the original of scholarship documents;
  • copy of the passport;
  • the payment receipt of the tuition fee (first installment – 16 euro);
  • copy of the fiscal code;
  • the copy of application for stay permit (permesso di soggiorno).