Updated A.Y. 2018-2019
The course explores and analyzes the way management consulting firms are managing the project as well as are managing their own organization.
The focus of this course is on pragmatic and action-oriented consulting skills supported by an inductive path where many leading consulting firms are sharing their approaches to develop consulting projects.
Leading consulting firms will also present the way they are organized and they recruit.
More specifically, the objectives of the course are:
- to develop an understanding of the management consulting industry;
- to understand and apply the tools management consulting firms use in order to manage their projects
- to understand the approach management consulting firms use in order to manage their business and their professionals
- to build (transferrable) management consulting skills
STRUCTURE OF THE COURSE AND REFERENCE TEXTBOOK
The course is based on two parts:
PART I: Management theories relevant to Management Consulting, based on the following five sections:
• Section 1: overview on management consultancy
• Section 2: management of a consulting project
• Section 3: problem diagnosis and solution development
• Section 4: communication and implementation
• Section 5: management of the consulting firm
PART II: Tools, group work and testimonials, useful to allow an initial direct and deeper contact with the management consulting activities, based on:
- the direct involved of experienced consultants from leading consulting firms such as McKinsey, NTT Data and PwC
- an applied project on “Digital European University”
The reference textbook for PART I is: Baaij, M.G., An introduction to Management Consultancy, Sage, 2014. In particular:
- Part 4 – The management of consultancy projects (ch. 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15)
- Part 3 – The management of consultancy firm (ch. 7, 8 and 9)
OTHER LEARNING SOURCES
Selected readings from HBR, yearly report on the Management Consulting Industry from FEACO (European Federation of Management Consultancies Associations) and from Confindustria Assoconsult (Italian Association of Management Consulting Firms).
Academic classes based on text book & articles, some interactive sessions plus case studies presented by testimonials.