Student authentication

Is it the first time you are entering this system?
Use the following link to activate your id and create your password.
»  Create / Recover Password


Updated A.Y. 2022-2023

Subject learning objectives:

Knowledge and Understanding
The course is aimed at giving a depiction of the meaning of financial statements besides the basic rules used for its preparation
Applying Knowledge and Understanding
Students will be able to apply the main existing financial analysis techniques useful to convert numbers in judges and judges in numbers
Making Judgements
Thanks to the knowledge developed students will be able to formulate basic advice on the financial health of listed firms
Communication Skills
Students will be able to summarize a financial statement analysis in an analyst report readable for people who want to have information of the financial health of a firm
Learning Skills
Students will enforced their capabilities in work together and underpressure. Overall their knowledge in the accounting field will be completed in order to prepare them to face on a master of science or business school in business administration


Financial statement analysis gives investment professionals important insights into the true financial condition of a company. With it, realistic valuations can be made for investment, lending, or merger and acquisition purposes. The process is becoming increasingly complex, but this course helps students andr readers deal with the practical challenges that arise at the international level.

Understand the accounting mechanics behind financial reporting
Discover the differences between statements from around the world
Learn how each financial statement element affects securities valuation
Master analysis for clues into operations and risk characteristics

Course Materials 

Textbooks:Thomas R. Robinson, Elaine Henry, Wendy L. Pirie, Michael A. Broihahn, Anthony T. Cope (2015), International Financial Statement Analysis, 3rd edition, Mc-Graw Hill. Besides, annual reports from worldwide listed companies, academic papers, auditor reports plus all the materials provided from the instructors (teaching notes etc.)

Teaching Methods

Lectures, case study, interactive lectures, reverse lecture, lab

Assessment objectives and subject learning outcomes

Open-ended and multiple choice question plus a series of brief numerical exercises or to draw out a brief financial statement analysis based on official annual reports of listed firms ( in both cases the written exam would take 2 hours and weights the 70% of the final grade). Besides the assessment will emerge on the ground of the preparation (and discussion) of co-authored group works (this part weights the remaining 30%). The cases for these works will have to be chosen under the allowance of the instructor. Further, the class commitment (e.g. preparation and discussion of ‘live’ case studies during the course) will be highly appreciated.