The DOV is an official document which provides a short description of a certain academic or professional qualification, awarded to a specific person by an institution belonging to an educational system other than the Italian one. The DOV usually includes the following information:
• legal status and nature of the awarding institution;
• requirements needed for admission to the programme ending in the qualification concerned;
• length of the programme and/or global workload in hours/credits;
• validity of the qualification in the awarding country to academic and/or professional ends.
DOVs are issued in Italian by the Italian diplomatic authorities outside Italy when they are provided with the following papers:
1. Certified photocopy of the required original qualification document;
2. Legal translation into Italian of the above qualification document.
• Italian diplomatic authorities issue the Dichiarazione di Valore on a foreign study qualification (original/certified photocopy) after it has been legalised by the competent authorities of the awarding country;
• Before issuing a DOV, Italian diplomatic authorities check the authenticity of the qualification concerned;
• The DOV may also prove useful for recognition purposes, both academic and professional, as well as to occupational ends (e.g. in case you wish to work in the private sector of the Italian labour market and, at the same time, avoid the procedures of legal recognition by equivalence).