FOREIGN QUALIFICATIONS VALID FOR ACCESS TO FIRST CYCLE DEGREE PROGRAMMES AND SINGLE CYCLE DEGREE PROGRAMMES IN ITALIAN UNIVERSITIES
The admission to a First Cycle or Single Cycle Degree Programme is subject to the possession of a valid foreign high school diploma, which has been legalized, translated and presented with a declaration of value.
TRANSLATION AND LEGALIZATION OF QUALIFICATIONS AND OTHER DOCUMENTS
- Qualifications, certificates and syllabi must be submitted along with an official Italian translation. The translation must be completed according to the rules set by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MAECI).
- Qualifications and certificates must be legalized by the Italian Embassy in order to guarantee their authenticity. If the country where the qualification was obtained is party to the Hague Convention (1961), you must have an Apostille affixed to your documents by the competent authorities, in the place of legalization. Check the list of the competent authorities for each country.
Criteria for assessing the suitability of foreign qualifications for the admission:
Foreign secondary school diplomas are valid for admission to First Cycle Degree Programmes and Single Cycle Degree Programmes in Italian Universities if:
• they are obtained following a period of schooling of at least 12 years;
• they are obtained following a final period of at least two years of successful attendance in a foreign educational system;
• they grant access to a programme at a university in one’s country of reference which is similar to that being applied to in Italy.
In calculating the above-mentioned twelve years, if necessary, a pre-school year may be considered provided that:
• the attendance during the year is compulsory and an integral part of the curriculum;
• the programme includes the teaching of mother tongue literacy and the first elements of arithmetic calculation.
If you hold a qualification obtained at the end of schooling lasting less than 12 years, in addition to the original secondary school diploma, you must present an academic certificate stating that you have passed all the required exams:
• for the first year of university studies, in the case of local school systems of eleven years;
• for the first two years of university studies, in the case of local school systems of ten years.
In Italy, such academic certification (in addition to secondary school diplomas obtained following less than twelve years of schooling) permits matriculation only in the first academic year of the programme. Enrolment in a shortened programme may be possible only if the duration of previous university attendance is greater than the period required to integrate the missing school education.
- Final qualifications for post-secondary studies in a subject related to the chosen programme obtained from a non-university higher education institute may be acceptable for integration of school education paths of less than 12 years. Certificates from universities regarding the successful completion of Foundation Courses, may also be accepted. If you hold a qualification obtained from less than two years of attendance with positive results in a foreign educational system (i.e. during mobility abroad during the fourth year of the Italian Secondary School), you may be allowed to conditionally take the degree programme entrance exams. The suitability of such qualifications for admission is assessed individually on the basis of the consistency of the whole educational path with the chosen degree programme.
Specific regulations also exist concerning USA QUALIFICATION (American High School Diploma), BRITISH QUALIFICATION, Greek qualifications and qualifications issued by Ecclesiastical universities located in Italy and approved by the Holy See > Allegato1 - Allegato1En.
For more information on the validity of Italian qualifications obtained from schools in border areas or Italian sections of foreign schools, INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE QUALIFICATION (I.B. DIPLOMA RECOGNITION: http://www.consginevra.esteri.it/consolato_ginevra/it/i_servizi/per_i_cittadini/studi/equipollenza_titoli ), qualifications issued from the Republic of San Marino, qualifications obtained from foreign schools in Italy or European schools consult > Allegato2 .